Detroit to Host 2014 North American Science Fiction Convention, Detcon1
Detroit, MI – Detroit will be host to the North American Science Fiction Convention (NASFiC) in July of 2014. This international gathering of science fiction and fantasy fans and professionals will be held from Thursday, July 17 through Sunday, July 20, 2014 at the Detroit Marriott Renaissance Center. Memberships to Detcon1 may be purchased at the convention’s webpage, http://detcon1.org.
The convention’s guests of honor include:
- Steven Barnes, author and screenwriter
- John Picacio, Hugo-Award winning artist
- Helen Greiner, CEO of CyPhyWorks and iRobot co-founder
- Bernadette Bosky, Arthur D. Hlavaty, and Kevin J. Maroney, fan essayists, academics and editors
- Bill and Brenda Sutton, musicians
- Nnedi Okorafor, Young Adult Author special guest
The four-day convention will offer attendees a wide choice of exciting and interesting activities, including:
- Over a hundred panels, presentations, and workshops
- Diverse vendor’s area
- Gaming and Live-Action Role-Playing
- Readings, concerts, and dances
- Art show & sale with a selection of works of 2-D and 3-D art from professional and fan artists (live auction Saturday)
- Science fiction film festival
- Exhibits commemorating the history of science fiction appreciation in Michigan
- Mass autographing session (Friday)
- Masquerade costume contest – compete a costume or watch the show! (Saturday)
- Detcon1 Young Adult and Middle Grade Speculative Fiction Awards (membership voted!) (presentations Saturday)
A special fund, the FANtastic Detroit Fund, has been established to provide free memberships to low-income individuals who would be otherwise unable to attend the convention.
“We are excited to bring fans from all over North America to Detroit,” said convention chair Tammy Coxen. “We are looking forward to highlighting the vibrant community of fans, authors, artists and scientists in Michigan, as well as the contributions of our amazing Guests of Honor.”
Each NASFiC selects a unique name, and the 2014 NASFiC will be known as Detcon1. 2014 is the 55th anniversary of the last international science fiction convention to be held in Detroit, the 1959 World Science Fiction Convention, Detention. Detroit beat out Phoenix, AZ for the right to host the NASFiC in an election held in September of 2013 at the World Science Fiction Convention in San Antonio, Texas.
PRESS INFORMATION FOR DETCON1
Direct press queries or requests to be removed from the Detcon 1 Press Release Mailing List should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Detcon1 is being held July 17 through 20, 2014, at the Renaissance Center Marriott in downtown Detroit, Michigan.
The North American Science Fiction Convention (NASFiC), is held in years when the World Science Fiction Convention (Worldcon) is held outside of North America. Worldcon, an international gathering of the science fiction and fantasy community, is being held in London, England in August 2014.
Memberships for Detcon1 can be purchased at http://www.detcon1.org/
For more details on Detcon1, visit http://www.detcon1.org/
“World Science Fiction Society,” “WSFS,” “World Science Fiction Convention,” “Worldcon,” “NASFiC,” “Hugo Award,” the Hugo Award Logo, and the distinctive design of the Hugo Award Trophy Rocket are service marks of the World Science Fiction Society, an unincorporated literary society.